To complete my IQOS collection, I’ve recently bought the IQOS 2.4 Plus, the previous IQOS model that still selling like hot cakes! For those who missed my earlier review on IQOS 3.0, check it out here.
I Quit Original Smoking
IQOS, or “I Quit Original Smoking”, is an electronic cigarette device designed by Philip Morris International (PMI) to replicate original smoking experience in a more healthy way. By heating and not burning the blended tobacco leaves with an electronic device, PMI claimed IQOS introduces less harmful elements to smokers and the environment.
Must Read: The benefits of IQOS and how it works
I’ve reviewed both the latest IQOS 3.0 and 3.0 Multi before and here is my review of their predecessor, the IQOS 2.4 Plus, in the context of its suitability on travel for vacationers.
IQOS 2.4 Plus heat-not-burn cigarette
IQOS 2.4 Plus is the base model of current line-up. It was first IQOS design introduced to the market 4 years ago and is now in its final edition. With its no-frills and user-friendly design, people are still buying them after so many years. After one month of using it, I realised why it is still popular! Read on to reveal…
Similarly to IQOS 3.0, it consists of the HEETS holder and a charger. Users need to slot the holder into the charger to recharge it after each use and the charger needs to be recharged after about 20 smoking sessions.
Comparing it with the latest 3.0 version, here are some of its disadvantages or differences over the newer IQOS 3.0 :-
- shorter battery life (7,300 sessions compared to 14,600 sessions of IQOS 3.0),
- oddly shaped slide-in slot design requires user’s attention when sliding the holder in,
- charger’s top cover needs to be closed in order to charge the holder,
- slightly wider but thinner and intuitive design,
- slower holder charging time of 4 minutes,
- old micro USB-B charging port.
Even though IQOS 3.0 is better in most aspects, smoking experience of IQOS 2.4 is at least on par. I actually prefer to use it over my 3.0 everyday. I found its heating is more efficient whereby slightly more smoke is extracted from HEETS. Also surprised me is how easy its holder can be cleaned and it’s less sensitive to dirt. Most importantly, it costs far less than 3.0 now!
** IQOS 2.4 Plus is currently retailed at RM169 in Malaysia, while 3.0 costs RM369. **
** Great news! IQOS is launching am updated model called IQOS 3.0 DUO which can continuously smoke 2 HEETS before needing to charge the holder! **
What’s its point for travelers?
So what is it like for travelers to bring IQOS along on vacations?
- It helps smokers to smoke lesser and theoretical healthier. HEETS has lesser nicotine contents and other harmful ingredients found in ordinary cigarettes.
- It preserve the environment better without introducing ash and smoke into air.
- It has much less smell if compared to ordinary cigarette. Because it doesn’t burn, minimum tar and burning smell will be released.
- Also because of that, less risks of it in causing fire hazards by accidentally dropping off your cigarette butts.
- You will feel more “localized” since many Japanese and Koreans smoke IQOS nowadays.
- Though there is an initial cost to buy the heating device, HEETS or the tobacco sticks are cheaper than the original cigarettes.
What’s its point not for travelers?
- The major hindrance of IQOS currently is that you can’t use it everywhere in the world. There are countries where IQOS are banned at the time of writing this article, such as Thailand, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
- You need to bring an additional power adapter to charge the device.
- There’s an additional risk of dropping the device and render it unusable on travel, though they are now internationally warrantied which you can get your device serviced overseas.
- You won’t be able to smoke original cigarette again because they smell so different that you will no be able to accept the strong burning smell of normal cigarettes after switching to IQOS.
After a month of usage, I found IQOS 2.4 Plus is a steal. It has the highest value for your money spent. You will essentially get the same smoking experience as if you are smoking with 3.0, and cost you much lesser.
Similar to all IQOS models, IQOS 2.4 is a great cigarette alternative for smokers hoping for a healthier lifestyle or planning a cessation. That said, traveling with IQOS could be an issue for some destinations. You need to check out the latest information of e-cigarette bans on countries of your visit. Even though you may bring IQOS into those countries, buying heatsticks or HEETS there could be difficult since it is still not as popular.
What do you think? Please comment if you have any other opinions. Peace! – Travel Feeder